20 Reasons Why Email Marketing Campaigns Fail!
Not long ago I was on LinkedIn reading an “expert’s” opinion about email marketing. The only problem is this person is not an expert in email marketing, he is an expert in IT if anything. Therefore he does not understand how permission based email marketing works, or why it works. In his opinion it does not work because it does not work for him.
Here at Loyal2U we do email marketing right. Sorry if that offends you but I am offended by doing it wrong. I don’t like to waste my time on things that don’t work. I actually believe that if you hire our firm and don’t see some tangible results in 6 months you should fire us. You definitely should not keep sending us a check every month for a year when you have not even seen a single blog update. You definitely should not believe us when we say we were building your SEO all that time even though you are still on page 167 in the search engine.
I believe that if a social media or email marketing company does not keep it’s promises it is worthless and giving the rest of us a bad name. There are lots of snake oil salesmen out there, and the interesting thing to me is that many of them are calling the ones who actually get the work done by that name and worse. They are threatened by smaller companies because the smaller ones deliver more than what they promise and that leads them quite naturally to the businesses that were left behind in the wake of larger companies than did not keep their promises.
I guess I should not be so unhappy with my colleague. After all, I am gaining a lot of business due to his lack of follow-through and poor performance. I should probably send him something nice with a “Thank You” note. It would be even more fun if I had a few of my clients also send him a “Thank You” note, because his failure allowed them to have something to compare our service to, and in the end they learned how loyalty and relationship is suppose to look in a business relationship.
Anyway it got me thinking about why some people’s email marketing campaigns don’t bring results.
Here are 5 of the top 20 reasons why email campaigns fail:
- Emailers buy lists – Buying a list may seem easy, but it is no longer effective or even legal in Canada. Besides how are these leads even qualified? They are being spammed already if they are on the list and you are about to spam them again if you use that list!
- Emailers sell lists – Would you sell your mother? Why would you sell a list you worked hard to get? These people believe in you if they willingly gave you their email address. Don’t make them regret it. Guard your lists and protect your clients from spam. Your communication with them is wanted, so be loyal to the people that you are requesting loyalty from.
- Businesses don’t know how to increase their own generic lists – This is sad but true. There are so many easy techniques but they do require some work. Always ask for permission to send them an email when you exchange cards. Always ask for permission to email them on your work orders from your shop, or ask when they are leaving the store. But always ask.
- Some companies legitimately collect new leads for their list but don’t keep current with sending them anything – This is a bad situation and we see it way too much. A company gets every clients email address but sends them nothing. So after they have thousands collected they send them a newsletter and hundreds opt out immediately and others call them SPAM! This hurts the company’s rating and relationship with their email provider and can even blacklist them from getting service because they are now tagged a SPAMMER. Very sad. Avoid this by communicating the very week that you received the email address and remind them in that first email that you have their permission based on your conversation with them.
- Many companies do not send emails consistently – They mistakenly think that they will be called SPAMMERS if they are consistent. This is not true. In fact, the opposite can happen. You need to determine the right amount for your business but most B2C businesses can communicate twice a month at least. Less will drive your open rate down, and more may be too many. By the way, don’t send them 2 newsletters. Try 1 newsletter and 1 short tip with an interesting picture. That will keep them opening and interested.
If you thought these were great wait until you get the rest! We have a total of 20 reasons why your emails may not be working. Sign up for our Tips, Tricks and Techniques and we will send you the 15 other reasons why email campaigns can fail! You want to avoid these mistakes so find out now what you need to know!